Boost your back with a gentle stretch
To help keep your back in shape, consider doing stretching exercises. Here's a stretch you might want to try. First, ask your doctor if it's right for you—especially if you already have back pain.
Simple steps for a gentle stretch
- Lie on your back with knees bent.
- Raise a knee to your chest while pressing your back into the floor.
- Hold the stretch for five seconds.
- Repeat with your other knee.
- Do this stretch 10 times on each side.
Learn more about how to prevent and treat back pain in our Backs topic center.
- Brain&Life. "Stretches for Relieving Lower Back Pain." https://www.brainandlife.org/articles/relief-for-back-pain.
- FamilyDoctor.org. "Low Back Pain." https://familydoctor.org/condition/low-back-pain/.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. "Low Back Pain Fact Sheet." https://www.ninds.nih.gov/low-back-pain-fact-sheet#3102_8.