The Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
By Mather Neurology
It is important to know the causes of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Knowing what can cause brain injuries and being smart about how to avoid them in your day-to-day activities will help you prevent TBI. The most common causes of TBI — such as motor vehicle crashes and falls — are preventable. Check your head before you get out and go — and whatever you do, think about safety and prevention.
Here are ways you can protect your head and prevent Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
Wear a helmet (and make sure your children wear helmets) when you:
- Ride a bike, motorcycle, snowmobile, scooter or all-terrain vehicle
- Participate in a contact sport, such as football, ice hockey or boxing
- Use in-line skates or a skateboard
- Play baseball, softball, football or lacrosse
- Ride a horse
- Ski or snowboard
- Zip line, rock climb, bungee jump, hang glide or participate in any other activity that involves heights
Wear a seat belt every time you drive or ride in a car, truck or other motor vehicle:
- Small children should always sit in the back seats of cars, away from airbags, and use safety seats or booster seats appropriate for their size and weight (according to state laws).
Operating Machinery or Driving:
- Never drive while vision-impaired or under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including prescription medications.
Prevent falls by:
- Clearing tripping hazards such as loose rugs, uneven flooring or walkway clutter
- Using nonslip mats in the bathtub and on shower floors, and installing grab bars next to the toilet, tub and shower
- Installing handrails on both sides of stairways
- Improving lighting throughout the home
- Exercising according to your doctor's instructions to improve lower-body strength and balance
Make living areas safer for children by:
- Using safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs
- Installing window guards at open windows
- Making sure that your child's playground is made of shock-absorbing material, such as hardwood mulch or sand
- Supervising children carefully, especially when they're near water
Harbor View Medical Services, PC based on Long Island, is a premier growing practice providing a scope of medical services.