Diabetes Self-Management Education Classes
The Mather Endocrinology Diabetes Self-Management Education Classes provides individuals who are diagnosed with diabetes the training they need to take control of this disease.
Presented by Margaret J. Hofacker BSN, RN, CDE
The class schedule is as follows:
CLASS #1 INTRODUCTION TO DIABETES
- What is diabetes?
- What are the different types?
- Which parts of the body are involved in blood
- sugar control?
- What are the Treatments?
CLASS #2 PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND EXERCISE
- How much is needed?
- How to get more movement into your busy schedule?
CLASS #3 MONITORING
- The ins and outs of blood sugar testing:
- Learn how monitoring your blood sugar is more than
- just sticking your finger.
- Meter use? Logging? Testing times? Goals?
CLASS #4 ORAL MEDICATIONS & INJECTABLE MEDICATIONS
- What are the different types of oral medications
- and injectable medications used to control blood sugars?
- Why use one versus another?
- How and where to inject?
CLASS #5 HEALTHY EATING
- What are the different food groups?
- How often should you be eating?
- Are you balancing your meals?
CLASS #6 ACUTE COMPLICATIONS AND PROBLEM SOLVING: HYPO AND HYPERGLYCEMIA
- What are they?
- How are they prevented?
- How are they treated?
CLASS #7 REDUCING RISKS: LONG TERM COMPLICATIONS
- What are they?
- How do you help prevent them from occurring in the future?
CLASS #8 HEALTHY COPING
- Do you find having diabetes to be stressful?
- You are not alone.
- What are ways to help you cope better?
CLASS #9 WRAP UP
- Do you still have questions that need answering?
- How did you do at reaching your goals?
Call 631-686-2551 for more information and details to register!
Most insurance providers, including Medicare, cover the cost of diabetes education. A referral from your physician may be necessary.