Diabetes Self-Management Education Classes
The Mather Endocrinology Diabetes Self-Management Education Classes provides individuals who are diagnosed with diabetes the training they need to take control of this disease.
The class schedule is as follows:
CLASS #1 INTRODUCTION TO DIABETES
- What is diabetes?
- What are the different types?
- Which parts of the body are involved in blood
- sugar control?
- What are the Treatments?
CLASS #2 PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND EXERCISE
- How much is needed?
- How to get more movement into your busy schedule?
CLASS #3 MONITORING
- The ins and outs of blood sugar testing:
- Learn how monitoring your blood sugar is more than
- just sticking your finger.
- Meter use? Logging? Testing times? Goals?
CLASS #4 ORAL MEDICATIONS & INJECTABLE MEDICATIONS
- What are the different types of oral medications
- and injectable medications used to control blood sugars?
- Why use one versus another?
- How and where to inject?
CLASS #5 HEALTHY EATING
- What are the different food groups?
- How often should you be eating?
- Are you balancing your meals?
CLASS #6 ACUTE COMPLICATIONS AND PROBLEM SOLVING: HYPO AND HYPERGLYCEMIA
- What are they?
- How are they prevented?
- How are they treated?
CLASS #7 REDUCING RISKS: LONG TERM COMPLICATIONS
- What are they?
- How do you help prevent them from occurring in the future?
CLASS #8 HEALTHY COPING
- Do you find having diabetes to be stressful?
- You are not alone.
- What are ways to help you cope better?
CLASS #9 WRAP UP
- Do you still have questions that need answering?
- How did you do at reaching your goals?
Call 631-978-7590 for more information and details to register!
Most insurance providers, including Medicare, cover the cost of diabetes education. A referral from your physician may be necessary.